Quick and easy creative writing topics that will spice up your journal writing time - any grade level can use these!
Students often need a prompt to jump-start their brains. Some children really struggle with finding enough to say that they think is worthwhile.
The more you prepare your students for the task at hand, the better they will respond and be eager to share. Here's some quick tips that help out most kids:
Remember that being able to write for extended periods of time is a skill that takes time to acquire. Focus on building your students "writing stamina" the first month of school, and you will be rewarded with kids who love to write and share for the rest of the year.
You might even find that you enjoy teaching writing to children (gasp!).
1. Think of the top 5 costumes you've ever seen on Halloween. Why they were
so memorable to you?
2. You go on a candy eating binge! Tell about your feelings during
the pig-out session and how you
feel the rest of the night (and the following day).
3. You see an actual ghost on Halloween! Not necessarily an
angry one, but definitely a depressed ghost. Why might that ghost be sad and how can you help him?
1. The whole family is together and all the typical weird
things that happen are in full-force this year. Describe a typical Thanksgiving with your family and friends.
2. You've been transported to the original Thanksgiving! Is it really as nice as we make it out to be?
Did two people bring the same item? What did the guests talk about?
3. What are you thankful for?
Create a list of at least 10 things you are grateful for and explain why.
1. What is the best present that you've ever gotten for your
birthday? Not necessarily the most expensive, but the one that was the
most important to you. Talk about it and try to remember where that
present is today.
2. Talk about your best birthday cake experience. Did you put your face in one? How many pieces did you eat? Why was this the best cake ever?
1. You meet the Abominable Snowman! Seems like a pretty cool dude, so why is he called "Abominable?"
2. It is freezing outside! What do you wear? Detail your dressing process for the extreme cold.
3. You have control over the weather and can create one perfect spring day. What do you do?
4. Pumpkins, corn husks, and scarecrows: what is the best set of fall-related decorations you've ever seen?
5. You are suddenly transported to the middle of some unknown
dessert during the hottest part of the summer. How do you survive and
get yourself to safety?
Creative Writing Topics for All Kids
1. Talk about the teacher that you liked the most in school.
What made you enjoy the class? What did this teacher do that was so special?
2. Make a list of five things that you thought were completely
awesome when you were younger. Why did you think that?
3. Describe meeting your best friend in the world.
4. You have just walked into a spooky house! What is in the
spooky house? Are there any people in the house? What do they say to
5. You have found a magic wand! You can do anything with it. What do you do? Do you share the wand with anybody else?
6. If you could be a character in any book or movie who would it
7. What is the most memorable dream or nightmare that you've
ever had? Describe the dream from the beginning to the end and try not
to leave out any details.
8. If you had your choice of living anywhere in the world where would it be? Why would you live there and what do you think would change about your life?